Sep. 13, 2023
A diesel generator turbocharger is an air turbocharger that increases the amount of boost by compressing air, and its function is as follows:
1. Increase the power of the diesel generator set. Under the condition that the displacement of the diesel generator set remains unchanged, increasing the intake air density can allow the diesel engine to inject more fuel, thereby increasing the power of the genset. After installing a turbocharger, the power and torque of the diesel generator set should be increased by 20% to 30%. On the contrary, under the same power output requirements, the cylinder diameter of the genset can be reduced, and the volume and weight of the diesel engine can be reduced.
2. Improve the emissions of the genset. The turbocharger engine reduces the emission of harmful components such as particulate matter and nitrogen oxides in the exhaust gas of the genset by improving the combustion efficiency of the engine. It is an indispensable configuration for diesel engines to meet Euro 2 or above emission standards.
3. Provide the function of plateau compensation. In some high-altitude areas, the higher the altitude, the rarer the air. Diesel generator sets with turbochargers can overcome the problem of genset power reduction caused by the rarefied plateau air.
4. Improve fuel economy and reduce fuel consumption. Cummins diesel generator sets with turbochargers have better combustion performance and can save fuel by 3% -5%.
So, how can proper use and maintenance extend the service life of turbochargers?
1. Ensure the high cleanliness of the air intake of the genset. It is necessary to maintain the sealing of the intake and exhaust pipelines of the turbocharged diesel engine, regularly clean and maintain the air filter, check whether the fastening nuts or bolts are loose, whether the rubber hose clamps are clamped, check whether there is air leakage in the intake system, and replace the sealing gasket if necessary to strictly prevent dust and sediment from being sucked into the compressor. Otherwise, dirt can easily lead to clogging of the air filter wall, contamination of the compressor channel, and turbocharger blades, resulting in a decrease in boost pressure and even early wear of the blades and diesel engine parts.
2. Ensure reliable lubrication of the turbocharger. Use turbocharged diesel engine oil that meets the requirements according to the turbocharger user manual (usually CD grade advanced lubricating oil), regularly check the quantity and quality of the oil, replace deteriorated or excessively dirty oil in a timely manner, clean or replace the oil filter, and ensure high cleanliness of the oil.
3. Before starting a new genset or a new turbocharger, it is necessary to add pilot oil. For new diesel engines or after replacing the turbocharger, the oil inlet pipe joint on the turbocharger must be removed before starting, and 50-60mL of engine oil must be added to prevent the turbocharger bearing from burning out due to oil shortage at the moment of starting.
4. Before starting the genset, the crankshaft should be turned several times to ensure lubrication. If possible, wait until the oil filter and the entire lubrication system are filled with oil and the oil pressure stabilizes before starting. Otherwise, the turbocharger bearings may be damaged due to a lack of lubrication during startup, as when the diesel engine is running off load and the turbocharger speed is very high, even a few seconds of insufficient oil supply to the turbocharger bearings will cause bearing damage.
Dingbo Power is a professional manufacturer of diesel generators. If you would like to learn more about diesel generator sets or would like to purchase diesel generator sets, please feel free to contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Oct. 08, 2023
Get in Touch